In 1904, Randolph-Macon Woman’s College students were called to meals and classes by the ringing of a hand bell in the halls or the sounding of a gong. As the College grew, the system became inadequate.
P.V.D. Conway, a College trustee and father of a student, decided that a very large bell was needed. Accordingly, he purchased an unused bell hanging in the tower of Lynchburg’s old St. Paul’s Church. The 900-pound bell was “christened” Conway, in honor of its donor, and installed in the central tower of Main Hall on February 14, 1905.
Today, the Conway Bell continues to summon students to major campus events, and the privilege of tolling the bell is considered a special honor.